Thursday, July 19, 2012

Relaunch of All Things Zombie?

Ed over at Two Hour Wargames has announced that the All Things Zombie line will be getting a new book; ATZ:Final Fade-out.

http://2hourblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/this-not-test-zombies.html

This apparently will replace All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed, which is the core rulebook of the system.
I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, something a bit easier to understand would be great. Some of the layout of ATZ:BDTZ could stand reorganization! But there have been comments about increased complexity....which I don't like. I'm a simple rules sort of guy, which is why I'm a host on the Classic D&D podcast "Save or Die!" (http://saveordie.info). I like basic rules and options, like in the third book of the trilogy I, Zombie. But new rules? More complex rules? I dunno...
Vampifan (see my blog list for his blog) is one of the playtesters and I've got a lot of respect for him so I'll give it a chance when the book comes out. Still, I just got my 3 books (BDTZ, Haven, IZ) combined into one big book! <grump>

Zombie Chow

1 comment:

Vampifan said...

I understand your concern, ZC, and to be honest, I have mixed feelings as well. For the most part I think it's a good thing that the rules are getting an overhaul. They certainly need it. Extra complexity doesn't bother me. In fact, I welcome it, but I can see that it might put others, like yourself, off. It is a fine balancing act between too simple and too complex. Bringing FFO up to date and in line with THW's newer systems, like ATH and 5150:NB makes a lot of sense. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see until the finished product is released before deciding if it's worth investing in.